Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Clinical Trials, Science, and Research Have you ever travelled to a different country for a treatment?

• des-gab

July 24, 2020 at 5:22 am

I am a mum to a lovely young boy age 4. I am currently considering travelling to India from the UK to have bone marrow transplant. The Doctor is well known and has successfully done the procedure for 2 families that I know. His Doctor here in the UK says he does not qualify for a transplant in the NHS because he is a ‘well child’. I have questioned what that means, cos he has got sickle cell and has to take medication everyday with crisis sometimes. I guess what she means is that she does not see him in the hospital with complications.

I have made all the enquiries and just waiting for the right time. His older brother is a very good match. I know there are risks but I would rather go through the risks than watch my boy go through life with uncertainties.

• rodney-mcnary

July 28, 2020 at 2:45 pm

Never went to another country. However, I did have an encounter with the National Institutes of Health. Maryland, USA. Attempting to undergo, a stem-cell, sibling match. My brother was my match. However, I ran into a wall when asked to have a C-statin test which gets at the root function of your kidney’s. According to their test standard, your kidney function had to be at a 60. Unfortunately, I didn’t make the cut. They did not want to risk throwing me into partial dialysis, or permanent dialysis; so they refused to do it.  Soooo close to getting a chance a life-changing experience !!  Sickle Cell Disease is a terrible enemy and it Sucks !!!!!!

• tito-oye

August 5, 2020 at 7:01 am

Wishing you and your family all the best Des! ❤️

• tito-oye

August 5, 2020 at 7:04 am

Ahh I can only imagine the frustration Rodney. Do you know if they would still offer you the procedure if your kidney function improves?

• kassem-banawer

August 9, 2020 at 8:58 am

No, i didn’t travel to any other country for treatments, but i’m just following the latest news about new medications or new cure like gene therapy.