Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tito Oye
    Keymaster

I remember once my mum was talking to me about potentially travelling to Maryland, USA to have a bone marrow transplant.

She read about a clinical trial that was going on but the procedure was not available in the UK at the time.

Have you considered doing anything similar?

Des Gab
    Participant

I am a mum to a lovely young boy age 4. I am currently considering travelling to India from the UK to have bone marrow transplant. The Doctor is well known and has successfully done the procedure for 2 families that I know. His Doctor here in the UK says he does not qualify for a transplant in the NHS because he is a ‘well child’. I have questioned what that means, cos he has got sickle cell and has to take medication everyday with crisis sometimes. I guess what she means is that she does not see him in the hospital with complications.

I have made all the enquiries and just waiting for the right time. His older brother is a very good match. I know there are risks but I would rather go through the risks than watch my boy go through life with uncertainties.

Rodney McNary
    Participant

Never went to another country. However, I did have an encounter with the National Institutes of Health. Maryland, USA. Attempting to undergo, a stem-cell, sibling match. My brother was my match. However, I ran into a wall when asked to have a C-statin test which gets at the root function of your kidney’s. According to their test standard, your kidney function had to be at a 60. Unfortunately, I didn’t make the cut. They did not want to risk throwing me into partial dialysis, or permanent dialysis; so they refused to do it.  Soooo close to getting a chance a life-changing experience !!  Sickle Cell Disease is a terrible enemy and it Sucks !!!!!!

Tito Oye
    Keymaster

Wishing you and your family all the best Des! ❤️

Tito Oye
    Keymaster

Ahh I can only imagine the frustration Rodney. Do you know if they would still offer you the procedure if your kidney function improves?

Kassem Banawer
    Participant

No, i didn’t travel to any other country for treatments, but i’m just following the latest news about new medications or new cure like gene therapy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account