• Kassem Banawer

July 29, 2022 at 4:52 pm

Nop, never hide my SCD but my fair is not the judgment of people, my fear is most of people didn’t know about SCD so i can explain for them and not hide that, everyone better to know what is SCD, in this case they will not judge you wrong.

• Michael Quadri

August 30, 2022 at 12:03 pm

That’s a very good stance to take Kassem, thank you for sharing. I think awareness and knowledge of sickle cell is very important to change any narratives. Sickle cell has a lot more exposure now than it did 5/10 years ago. But I do understand not everyone feels this way and some people may still not be comfortable sharing with others.

• Michael Quadri

August 30, 2022 at 12:03 pm

That’s a very good stance to take Kassem, thank you for sharing. I think awareness and knowledge of sickle cell is very important to change any narratives. Sickle cell has a lot more exposure now than it did 5/10 years ago. But I do understand not everyone feels this way and some people may still not be comfortable sharing with others.

• Michele Roberts

September 5, 2022 at 5:55 pm

I did for years.  Now that I have lived a long time I am grateful to be here.   I was labeled the sickly one as the only child of 7 with SCD.   I did not want the questions or fear that I sensed from my mom.

I still do not share much except when the opportunity presents itself.

• Michael Quadri

September 30, 2022 at 4:24 pm

I know a lot of people with sickle cell that can relate, especially the stigma of being the sickly one or being called a sickler.

@healed56, How often does the opportunity present itself for you to speak about this openly?