Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Adults​ ​With​ ​Sickle Cell How do you maintain a work/life balance with sickle cell?

• How do you maintain a work/life balance with sickle cell?

Posted by Tito Oye on January 5, 2021 at 9:00 am

This is something that I struggle with. Whenever the demands of work increase, I am required to work more and consequently neglect my life outside of work, which makes me feel more stressed and eventually has an adverse effect on my health.

What do you do to help maintain a healthy work/life balance?

Tito Oye replied 3 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • viviane salzman

January 5, 2021 at 3:38 pm

Hi Tito,

Your question really strikes home and I cannot wait to see how others will reply.

It has not been easy lately maintaining a healthy work/life balance. I have been in an out of the hospital this past year. I had a viral infection at the end of 2019 (December 28), then I got diagnosed with influenza A in January 2020. Since then I have been in and out of the hospital with pain, low H&H, extreme fatigue etc. I have not been able to work much. It has been extremely stressful since I need to work in order to secure my health insurance. I really do not know what to do. It seems like work and sickle cell are incompatible. I am at the point of giving up, put an end to my nursing career. I feel like if I continue to work I might not live a long life because it is hard for me to take care of myself when I work.

Any suggestion or advice are welcome

Best,

Viviane

• Tito Oye

February 20, 2021 at 10:02 am

@viviane141 I am looking forward to responses too!

The stress I have felt at work has often resulted in very painful sickle cell crises, to the point where I am considering a change in careers 😩