Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Adults​ ​With​ ​Sickle Cell Sickle cell and the risk of stroke

Tagged: 

• Sickle cell and the risk of stroke

Posted by michael-quadri on June 14, 2022 at 2:00 pm

Sickle cell is a condition that often prevents oxygen from getting to various areas in the body, including vital organs. A lack of oxygen to the brain can cause serious effects on one’s well-being, one of them being stroke. I learned about the relationship between sickle cell and stroke roughly three years ago and I was shocked at how common this is.

Vijaya has a really great post explaining this, make sure you have a read!

Click here to see Vijaya post

Has anyone here experienced a stroke?

mrs-norris-mulligan replied 1 year, 9 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • mrs-norris-mulligan

July 14, 2022 at 1:54 pm

Hello

I did experience a TIA in January 2022. It was very mild and resolved within minutes. At that time, my doctor recommended Apheresis every 4 weeks to decrease the risk of a stroke, on a larger scale. So I have a port now and get new red blood cells every 4 weeks.

• tito-oye

July 18, 2022 at 3:52 pm

Thanks for sharing this @enorris, I also have the apheresis transfusions frequently to reduce the chance of a stroke.
      How do you find the process of looking after your port?

• mrs-norris-mulligan

July 20, 2022 at 2:24 pm

Hello Tito,

I have the port for 5 months. It was designed for Apheresis. There has not been any complications. I am careful with touching the area. Use Dial soap to aid with bacteria.

What about you?

• mrs-norris-mulligan

July 20, 2022 at 2:24 pm

Hello Tito,

I have the port for 5 months. It was designed for Apheresis. There has not been any complications. I am careful with touching the area. Use Dial soap to aid with bacteria.

What about you?