• Posted by Tito Oye on February 16, 2022 at 10:01 am

I recently wrote an article about my experience with pica. Pica is an eating disorder characterised by a tendency to eat substances that provide no nutritive value such as soil, chalk, hair, paper, etc.

This is something that isn’t uncommon for people with sickle cell, yet a lot of people who experience it are unaware that it is sickle cell related.

I would love to hear what you think about this and if you have ever experienced it before.

Michael Quadri replied 2 years ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Valerie Bailey

February 18, 2022 at 9:16 am
    1. Wow. I never knew. I ate the white school glue as a little child but soon started chewing paper. All types of paper. Sometimes I would swallow it. It’s less now but sometimes I still find myself doing it. Is it nervousness?
    • Tito Oye

February 22, 2022 at 3:36 pm

You’re not alone Valerie!!! A lot of people with sickle cell experience it but are unaware that its sickle cell related.

I’m not 100% sure if nervousness plays a factor but I would say that you should speak with your doctor just incase they can help with it.

• David

March 3, 2022 at 12:41 pm

Woah, that’s incredible, never knew that was related. I used to eat school chalk and plaster from inside the walls. Got disciplined by parents when caught so stopped doing it then they galvanised the chalks in school with a plastic coating so stopped that too.

Very interested to know the relationship between Sickle Cell and Pica.

• Tito Oye

March 24, 2022 at 2:45 am

Hi David, a lot of people are in the same boat!! Sickle cell can impact every area of our lives, including our eating habits. I just wish we knew more about this earlier, that way, these habits may have been corrected more effectively instead of automatically resulting in punishments.

• Valerie Bailey

April 15, 2022 at 9:48 am

Thanks for this inspirational and informative forum!

• Michael Quadri

April 19, 2022 at 2:18 pm

You are very welcome Valarie, thank you so much for your engagement :).