Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Adults​ ​With​ ​Sickle Cell How do you cope with feelings of loneliness?

• How do you cope with feelings of loneliness?

Posted by Tito Oye on July 18, 2022 at 12:42 pm

I often think of my sickle cell as a lonely condition. There aren’t many people, besides fellow sickle cell warriors, who understand what we go through.

This was an issue for me in the past when I was growing up. I knew hardly anyone with sickle cell, it felt like I was going through the experience by myself. Thankfully, as I grew, I met people who developed a more genuine interest in my well-being. They were so invested in my health that it felt like I was not the only one experiencing what I was feeling.

For me, my loved ones showed me that I am not going through it by myself. Do you ever feel like you’re in a similar situation?

Tito Oye replied 1 year, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Kassem Banawer

July 20, 2022 at 8:46 am

Sure @Tito when there is someone beside you at hard time or even anyone can think about you in this case you will feel more great just because there is someone feel about you, that’s makes me feel better, i face this before and i’m so greatful for all poeople thats giving me best feelings during my hard time with SCD.

• Josephine giandalia

July 20, 2022 at 10:08 am

I am a mother of one who has sickle cell…and Caucasian. It has been extremely lonely for my son.

He has lègs-perthies…where his hips are worn away from the sickling. Needless to say, he is in pain most of the time and very difficult to walk. So it’s mostly the isolation that is the hardest part.

Thank you for letting me partake in the discussion. God bless you all.

josephine Giandalia

• Tito Oye

July 21, 2022 at 12:27 am

Hi @pinadaliaaol-com, you are more than welcome here!!! I really do hope that these forums are useful to you and your son!

I’m praying that your son finds it easier to manage as he grows older, and also that he’ll find good friends that will make his journey easier.

God bless you too!

• Tito Oye

July 21, 2022 at 12:16 am

I agree 100% @virus, having people who are there for you makes the experience more bearable!