Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums COVID-19 and Sickle-Cell Anemia My List of Book/Movie/Spotify Recommendations for Lockdown

• My List of Book/Movie/Spotify Recommendations for Lockdown

Posted by kevin-schaefer on April 1, 2020 at 7:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all staying safe and healthy out there.

So with everything going on in the world, I thought I’d do a lighter post about entertainment recommendations for quarantine. I’m a huge pop-culture guru. This is just my personal list of book, movie, and Spotify recommendations. I’m leaving out TV, since there are just too many shows out there.

1) If at Birth You Don’t Succeed by Zach Anner: Zach Anner’s 2016 memoir If at Birth You Don’t Succeed:My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny is hilarious, touching, and relentlessly witty. Anner shares his experiences as a comedian who has cerebral palsy, as well as numerous stories and idiosyncrasies from his childhood. This book is great for people with disabilities, but it’s also just a great read for anyone.

2) Stardust by Neil Gaiman: I’m a big Neil Gaiman fan, and Stardust is one of my favorite books of his. It contains star-crossed lovers, witches, and swordsmen competing for their late father’s throne. It’s a familiar and subversive take on the fantasy genre, and it’s available in several formats. There’s the standard prose version, and the original graphic novel which Gaiman co-created with artist Charles Vess. I also love the 2007 film adaption with Charlie Cox and Claire Danes.

3) Fighting with My Family (2019): Florence Pugh stars in this dramedy biopic about WWE champion Paige, and her wrestling family from England. So yes, it’s a British wrestling comedy, and the film is as unique as its premise. Writer/director Stephen Merchant injects plenty of humor and heart into this story, and he knows exactly how to balance the two. Co-stars include Vince Vaughn as the no-nonsense WWE coach, and Nick Frost and Lena Headey (Game of Thrones) as Paige’s eccentric parents. Plus, Dwayne Johnson plays himself in two brilliant cameos. Stream this movie on Amazon Prime or Hulu.

4) Booksmart (2019): Olivia Wilde made her directorial debut with this teenage comedy. Taking cues from Superbad and John Hughes classics, the film flips the script on the genre by focusing on two overachieving students on their last day of high school. Realizing that they’ve unnecessarily spent all their time studying and doing extracurricular activities, they decide to cram all of their partying into a single night. The result is a hilarious and touching coming-of-age story. Stream this movie on Hulu.

5) Tides of a Teardrop (Album) by Mandolin Orange: I mostly listen to rock, but I do love folk music. Mandolin Orange is a North Carolina indie folk band, and their 2019 album Tides of a Teardrop is one of my favorites. It’s simple, melancholic, and soothing to listen to. My favorite track is called “The Wolves.”

6) Office Ladies (Podcast): Any fans of The Office here? You’re in luck! Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey (who played Pam and Angela on the show) now host a podcast called Office Ladies. Each week, they revisit and discuss an episode of The Office, and share tons of behind-the-scenes anecdotes with listeners. It’s a delightful and funny podcast, offering perfect escapism for people right now.

I hope this list helps! What are your recommendations?

kevin-schaefer replied 3 years, 12 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.