Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Motivational Mondays Sickle Cell Role Models

• Sickle Cell Role Models

Posted by tito-oye on October 25, 2021 at 9:00 am

Do you know (or know of) anyone with sickle cell who you look up to?

I didn’t know many people with sickle cell growing up, but now, I draw so much motivation from the sickle cell community by seeing what we all go through and still manage to overcome!!!

tito-oye replied 2 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • tracey

October 26, 2021 at 11:08 am

I never get a response when I reply to questions here. I am one with sickle cell that people look up to or speak of. People just don’t go on social media.  I was told I’ll only make 19 but I’m almost 60. I’m 58 and I don’t find any good resources unless we create it ourselves

• tito-oye

October 28, 2021 at 10:42 am

Hey Tracey, I hope you’re doing well. Wow, I am so happy you’re continuing to beat the odds and that people are looking up to you.

Yeah, you’re right! The best resources are definitely the ones made for us by us!

• helena-robinson

November 2, 2021 at 10:03 am

That’s awesome to hear Tracey. I too lived most of my youth thinking I was only going to live to my 30s or 40s, but I’m still hanging in there. Also, my crises have drastically reduced and for the most part I feel really good. Glad to hear others are hanging in there too!

• tito-oye

November 4, 2021 at 12:41 pm

Hey Helena, It’s so encouraging to hear that you are doing so well!! I’m hoping for the same!

I remember when I found out that T-Boz has sickle cell, I was happy to see someone with sickle cell doing so much, she is so inspirational!

Asiata Onikoyi-Laguda is also a major inspiration and something that I hope for all of us ♥️

• eniola-emmanuel-olawale

October 29, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Sadly, I have no one I look up to, I was all alone until I found this community.

• tito-oye

November 4, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Hey Eniola, unfortunately, this is a common thing for many people with sickle cell. It’s not always easy to come across people with sickle cell that are also role models, but I am so happy that you are able to take comfort in these forums, I hope they continue to be useful to you ♥️♥️

• helena-robinson

November 2, 2021 at 10:09 am

I used to look up to T-Boz from TLC the music group. I really liked seeing someone like me making it big and being so active. I followed her for a while but I’m not sure what she is up to now. Also, I just found out this year about Asiata Onikoyi-Laguda, I was excited to see someone with SCD live so long and have such a full life.