Tagged: , ,

• viviane salzman

June 13, 2020 at 7:44 pm

Hi Tito,

Me again!

I am an RN.  I work as a psychiatric nurse on a forensic unit.  I have not been able to work since March 27th because I broke my right great toe in two different places.  Unfortunately,I did not receive proper care when it first happened as all attention were being given to COVID-19 patients.  Finally, two weeks ago I was given a medical boot to wear for a period of four weeks.  Because of the population that I work with, I am not allowed to be on the unit while wearing the boot.  I am waiting for the toe to heal so that I can get back to work.

• Tito Oye

June 23, 2020 at 6:02 am

Hi Viviane,

Oh wow. The way that focus has shifted onto the coronavirus has unfortunately caused a lot of negligence in other areas of healthcare. I hope you recover quickly so you can get back to work!

Also, what made you want to become a nurse?

• viviane salzman

June 26, 2020 at 9:21 pm

Hi Tito,

I became a nurse because I wanted to know more about sickle cell disease.  I wanted to learn how I could take the best care of myself and others with the disease.  Unfortunately I have not been able to work with sickle cell  patients.  Ironically, being sick too often prevents me from being able to work on a med-surge unit where sickle cell patients are most often admitted.  No hospital has a “sickle cell unit,” and taking care of patients with other serious diagnoses can be problematic.  I love being a nurse.  I did not want to give up nursing so I tried psychiatry and love it.

• Tito Oye

July 9, 2020 at 7:51 am

I’m happy you’ve found something that you love to do, something that is also so meaningful.

I feel like patients make the best health care practitioners, you are able to relate more to the people you look after and provide them with a greater standard of care.

• viviane salzman

July 9, 2020 at 8:50 am

Thanks Tito

• Steve M

October 6, 2020 at 11:39 am

Hi everyone, I have done different jobs in my life But having sickle cell has been really hard cause when I get a crisis I missed work and had problems sometimes got fired or I just quit but now I am a barber I decided to get into this field because I can make my on schedule and I can keep up with it easier it has work for me a lot, 5 years so far as a barber. I keep fighting everyday trying to stay as healthy as I can be…

• Steve M

October 6, 2020 at 11:43 am

<p style=”text-align: left;”>When I was growing up I use to want to be a doctor that was my dream so I started school for it but unfortunately I couldn’t do it sickle cell was to much to handle I missed clases a lot so I failed.. Then I thought about doing nursing but been in the hospital so many times I decided not to because I knew I would have problems aswell if I am was able to finish my career once I got to work been around infections and other sick patients wouldn’t be secure for me so I left that idea too.. sickle cell changes your life for sure is all I can say…</p>

• Michael Quadri

October 11, 2020 at 8:40 am

Hi Steve, thank you for sharing. I am happy that you have managed to find a schedule that works for you. Being a barber seems very cool especially with the flexibility of being able to work with a schedule that best suits you. A barber is really a mans best friend so I can only imagine how many people confide in you on a day to day basis.