Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Adults​ ​With​ ​Sickle Cell What stage of your life did you experience more frequent crises?

• What stage of your life did you experience more frequent crises?

Posted by Tito Oye on August 6, 2020 at 2:00 pm

I found that when I was younger I experienced sickle cell crises more frequently. I think it was because I wasn’t as knowledgeable when it comes to understanding what my triggers are and what my body needs. Now that I am more aware, I can do more to ensure I am looking after myself to the best of my ability.

Tito Oye replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Louise Rachael Mwape Miller

August 6, 2020 at 6:57 pm

I experienced crisis pain more as a child between ages 5 and 18, I missed so much school and social events due to often experiencing a crisis. I’ve taken great care of my health with minor pain crisis here and there every so often,at least once or twice yearly, but having major complications during my adult life and after flying or travelling from a hot climate back to the UK would set me off and then this is the worst one in my adult life so far. I’m now 35.

• Tito Oye

August 10, 2020 at 12:58 pm

I can relate 100% Louise! Travelling is such a trigger – be it the change in climate or the conditions on a plane – the whole experience is setting us up for a crisis 😫