Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Clinical Trials, Science, and Research Are there opportunities for clinical trials for Africans with SCD?

Tagged: 

• Are there opportunities for clinical trials for Africans with SCD?

Posted by Faith O. on August 11, 2020 at 1:51 am

I read with great delight about clinical trials, as well as new technologies geared towards cure for sickle cell sufferers. Its rather sad that we do not have such opportunities in third world countries- Africa, considering we have the highest burden of people living with SCD. I am hopeful we will see more of that in the near future.

Leola Conley replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Leola Conley

August 11, 2020 at 1:52 pm

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Faith, I am the mother of a 21 year old daughter who has SS.  She is a senior in college.  I always pray for God to help everyone who has to deal with this disease.  There seems to be an upsurge in the development of new medicines recently.  My daughter has been put on Oxbryta just recently by her doctor. I am praying that it really really works for her.  Too early to tell as it has been 2 weeks.  Praying everyone with SCD have accessibility to whatever drug or treatment that may help improve their lives.</p>