Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Motivational Mondays Darker & Shorter Days: How Are You Coping?

• Darker & Shorter Days: How Are You Coping?

Posted by michael-quadri on October 17, 2022 at 9:00 am

As the seasons change, we see less sun and the days feel shorter. It is during these times that we tend to see an increased level of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) which is a type of depression that comes and goes in a seasonal pattern.

SAD is often referred to as “winter depression” because the symptoms such as a persistent low mood, higher levels of irritability and difficulty concentrating, are usually more apparent and more severe during the winter.

It is important that during these times we actively expose ourselves to things that can help to lift our mood, so please use this post to share words of encouragement that could help other readers of this forum.

tito-oye replied 1 year, 2 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • tito-oye

January 19, 2023 at 5:37 am

I find that during these months my energy levels are more depleted, like as soon as the sky gets dark my body starts getting ready to rest. I think that especially during these times to find a balance between what your body wants and what you needs is essential, but definitely easier said than done.