Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums COVID-19 and Sickle-Cell Anemia Do you find it hard to breathe while wearing a mask?

Tagged: , ,

• Do you find it hard to breathe while wearing a mask?

Posted by tito-oye on January 27, 2021 at 9:00 am

A lot of people have made complaints that they struggle to breathe when wearing a face mask.

When I first started wearing them I did find it awkward to use at first, but I quickly got the hang of it.

How are you finding it?

joyce replied 1 year, 9 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • helena-robinson

March 8, 2021 at 2:38 pm

I find that it’s hard to breathe whenever I have to walk or move around a lot, and especially when I have to go up or downstairs. I take a lot of breaks during these activities. I don’t want to cause a crisis to flair from the reduced oxygen of wearing a mask. Recently I have started wearing the two masks, with a disposable dust mask underneath a reusable cloth mask. Since the dust mask is curved and is a little sturdier, it actually helps raise the mask off my nose and gives me a little more breathing space.

• kassem-banawer

March 9, 2021 at 11:25 pm

yes sure, especially when i’m walking or doing any activity, feel like need more for oxygen and the mask is blocking my breathing.

• tito-oye

March 16, 2021 at 10:19 am

@lena-robbie I really like the tip about the double mask, I think I might start doing that myself, that extra breathing space makes a world of a difference!

• tito-oye

March 16, 2021 at 10:20 am

@virus it is something that defo takes a while to get used to!

• oluwatomi

March 24, 2021 at 12:04 pm

Sometimes I put them on and I’m completely fine, and other times I put them on and suddenly it’s like I have forgotten how to breathe! I don’t know if it’s me or the mask anymore. 😅

• joyce

June 19, 2022 at 3:37 am

Yes

• joyce

June 19, 2022 at 3:38 am

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Yes</p>