• Have you had to deal with trainee staff?

Posted by Tito Oye on February 19, 2020 at 2:00 pm

The hospital that I am registered to is also a medical university full of trainee health care professionals. My most recent interaction with a trainee nurse deeply upset me. I was being prepped for my monthly red cell exchange transfusion, and her supervisor allowed her to find a vein in my arm and insert one of the needles. However she made a mistake and missed the vein, this resulted in me having to be injected all over again but by her supervisor. Consequently, I was left with an additional scar on my arm, which made me feel self-conscious. I scar so easily and it may seem insignificant but this mistake bought tears to my eyes. My friend encouraged me by reminding me she has to practice to get it right for the next person, but I was still a bit down. Do you mind being practiced on? 

Tito Oye replied 4 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Rodney McNary

February 20, 2020 at 8:43 am

Tito, I am so sorry for your horrible experience. I can understand your pain. I am a Phlebotomist by trade. One of the things I learn is the rule of sticking a patient. If you can’t draw blood on the second stick. Which is the Two Stick Rule. You have to get another tech to try it. Whether it’s drawing blood or IV insertion. I understand students have to learn, but not the the point of being tortured. You are not a guinea pig. And you do not have to accept a supervisor instruction for a trainee to keep trying. That rule applies across the board.

As to your question of dealing with trainee staff. I used to train new employee. Of course I have to let them try. Had an experience where the trainee was trying to draw blood, but couldn’t. I told her to pull the needle out so she does not hurt the patient, the problem had turned out she had the bevel of the needle turned upside down, no wonder you couldn’t get any blood.

• Tito Oye

February 22, 2020 at 2:27 am

I think it is interesting to hear about the experience from the side of the professional, and I 100% agree with that Two Stick Rule! I just hope no offence is taken when we have to ask for another tech.