Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Adults​ ​With​ ​Sickle Cell Managing Extreme Heat with Sickle Cell

• Managing Extreme Heat with Sickle Cell

Posted by tito-oye on July 22, 2022 at 9:00 am

This week we have been experiencing high temperatures in the UK, we are expecting highs of 40°C (104°F). To a lot of people who live in warmer climates, I’m sure you think that 40°C is child’s play, but trust me, in a country like the UK, where houses aren’t built to maintain heat, this weather is nothing short of unbearable.

I have found myself becoming dehydrated at a faster rate and I’ve been feeling more fatigued, which is never a good thing for someone with sickle cell.

I have upped my water intake and I have been living in front of my fan.

Do you have any tips for dealing with hot weather?

michael-quadri replied 1 year, 6 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • kassem-banawer

July 25, 2022 at 7:10 am

Sure @Tito hot almost same as cold which is the archenemy of the SCD patients it mostly affected, and sure I will be mostly tired, I know that because I’m living in Saudi Arabia which is a hot area in summer, and yes 40 Celsus degree is great for us LOL It’s like spring days hehehehehe, here the temperature may reach more than 50 sometimes, and air conditioner should be 24/24 or you will be cooked if not, anyway with respect to SCD patients yes should be always hydrated and be inside calm area sure and better not to face the direct cold airconditioned air because it’s very harmful for SCD patients, just take it easy and don’t tired yourself and stay hydrated all the time is good for you, and take a good time for sleep, with light sport which is very important, that’s it.

• michael-quadri

July 27, 2022 at 12:28 am

These are great tips @virus! I didn’t know you experienced such high temperatures!

In such countries, it is essential to have air conditioning systems, and you’re right about the precautions that a person with sickle cell must take when using one, the cold is just as dangerous as the heat.

• kassem-banawer

July 27, 2022 at 3:23 am

Thanks @Michael, yes i have a wide experiance with cold and hot regions and i know that both is harmful for SCD, because i faced that many times before, at least you have to adapt yourself to that area which your are live.

• michael-quadri

July 28, 2022 at 11:43 pm

I agree @virus, it is so important to adapt!

I’m curious to know what the coldest place you’ve lived in is

• kassem-banawer

July 29, 2022 at 5:09 pm

Usually @Michael I’m living in warm and hot area I hate cold such as Europe area almost cold all the year just now exception I knew that is hot everywhere in Europe I don’t like to say hate it but hate to live in that area, the coldest area that I lived in is Augsburg in Germany I think in that time the temperature was -12 Celsius degree I was in taring curse with my company team, I almost spent all my time in hotel beside the heater hehehehe, Moring time in the training hours after that back to hotel, I wished that time to get outside with my friends but it was too much cold in that time, that because I stay in hotel all the time until the training curse finished almost one month.

• michael-quadri

August 30, 2022 at 12:12 pm

Oh wow, -12 Celsius is extremely cold. Germany is definitely not the warmest place to be, especially in winter. But -12 is definitely colder than usual. Regardless, I am happy to hear that you manage to stay warm. @virus, Have you been back to Germany or Europe since your training course?

• michele-roberts

September 5, 2022 at 5:49 pm

When I was young my mom said I was allergic to the sun; she had no clue why I got sick.  Now, as an adult I do early morning walking and later, before dark, going out.  I work indoors and stay hydrated.

• kassem-banawer

September 7, 2022 at 2:41 am

no @Michael i didn’t get back because i have no business there but i pass through france in same time of my training course period to visit my sister she lives in paris that time, also france was cold in that time month of february.

• michael-quadri

September 26, 2022 at 10:37 am

Oh wow, @healed56 how did you find out you were allergic to the sun? Also, what adjustments have you had to make to manage the allergy?