Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Using Our Forums New Sickle Cell Treatment-Adakveo

• New Sickle Cell Treatment-Adakveo

Posted by kdraven on March 2, 2020 at 1:32 pm

Hello SC Family!

I’m new to SCA news and am looking forward to being an active member on the site! I had my FIRST treatment of Adakveo on yesterday (Feb. 28th) and I’m excited and hopeful about the possiblities! My thoughts…anything that alleviates my pain is worth a try!

tito-oye replied 3 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • tito-oye

March 2, 2020 at 4:41 pm

Hey Karen!

Wishing you all the best with your new treatment & I hope to learn a lot from you!!!

What does this treatment entail?

• steve-m

March 5, 2020 at 7:24 pm

Hey Karen Welcome to the fam.

kind of new here too couple weeks ago, anyway I was reading about you starting the Adakveo treatment… I am starting it next week and I’m excited aswell, so can you tell us how do you feel or if you feel anything? I know is too soon but whatever you can tells us would be good.

I was on Hydrea but it is not working for me it used too but not anymore so I’ve been waiting for Adakveo since las year 🙂

• kdraven

March 11, 2020 at 10:30 am

The treatment is a once a month IV fusion that reduces the number of pain crisis.

“Adakveo is the first targeted therapy approved for sickle cell disease, specifically inhibiting selectin, a substance that contributes to cells sticking together and leads to vaso-occlusive crisis,” said Richard Pazdur, M.D., director of the FDA’s Oncology Center of Excellence and acting director of the Office of Oncologic Diseases in the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-first-targeted-therapy-treat-patients-painful-complication-sickle-cell-disease

• tito-oye

June 23, 2020 at 5:06 am

Hi Karen,

How have you been finding the treatment so far?