Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Adults​ ​With​ ​Sickle Cell Weather and Sickle Cell: Summer is coming!!

• Weather and Sickle Cell: Summer is coming!!

Posted by tito-oye on June 2, 2022 at 9:00 am

I live in the UK, which is known for its terrible and unpredictable weather. The weather here is something that triggers sickle cell crises in many patients. We always find ourselves being extra cautious when we go outside. 

But now that we are approaching the warmer seasons, I’m feeling a lot happier, confident, and less worried about my environment triggering a crisis. I look forward to summer and can’t wait to enjoy it to the fullest. 

What are you looking forward to this summer? 

tito-oye replied 1 year, 10 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • kassem-banawer

June 3, 2022 at 4:47 pm

Europe always cold and not really compatible with SCD people it’s better to live in warm area which can be more compatible for them, I’m living in Saudi Arabia and here the weather is very hot in summer but its ok for me even in winter season its very cold but few days only not like almost all year in Europe.

• tito-oye

June 8, 2022 at 10:47 am

@virus I agree,such places don’t have the ideal climate for people with sickle cell. I have lived in the UK my whole life and I have adjusted my behaviour to make sure I am as warm as possible during the colder seasons.

During the warmer months, do you find it harder to stay hydrated?

• kassem-banawer

June 10, 2022 at 5:51 pm

No Tito is not so hard to be always hydrated because I’m always caring a battel of water whenever a as I’m always drinking water even if I’m not thirsty, it’s a good step for us to be always hydrated.

• tito-oye

June 13, 2022 at 2:41 pm

@virus I agree 100%! It is so important & well done for being so consistent with it 🙌🏾