Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Adults​ ​With​ ​Sickle Cell What do you for a living? Do you enjoy it?

Tagged: ,

• What do you for a living? Do you enjoy it?

Posted by Michael Quadri on October 22, 2021 at 9:00 am

I am a consultant and I work within the tech/finance industry. I have been doing so for around 4 years. Currently, I work in a management consultancy firm and my role as a BA (Business Analyst) involves me analyzing large datasets and presenting this back to my clients with recommendations on how to improve their business going forward. I enjoy working in the industry and I am looking to progress and as high up the business hierarchy, I possibly can.

Michael Quadri replied 2 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Eniola Emmanuel Olawale

October 29, 2021 at 12:21 pm

I am currently a student studying Computer Science, it’s not so fun. I like art and writing compared to coding but because I had no career counseling, I ended up in a field that I am not familiar with and I am only enduring till I get the certs.

• Helena Robinson

November 2, 2021 at 9:58 am

I am a Director of Sustainability at a university in the states. I used to be an elementary teacher prior to this, however, even though it was wonderful to get summers off yearly, it was very stressful. I do like my current job, it is interesting, flexible, and one of the most growing career fields due to the current climate crisis.

• Michael Quadri

November 4, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Thanks for your response Eniola, Have you considered joining some more creative societies/clubs? To perhaps meet more people within the field?

There is also a lot of online resources to support transitioning careers

• Michael Quadri

November 4, 2021 at 12:43 pm

Hi Helena, that sounds really interesting, how long have you been a Director of Sustainability?

Could you say a little bit more about what your role entails, I am intrigued to know how you got into it as that seems like quite the switch from elementary teacher to what you are doing now.

• Helena Robinson

November 5, 2021 at 11:25 am

Hey Michael, I have only been a Director for 2 years, my boss decided I should take the position when the previous Director left. I actually switched from teaching because it was just too stressful: the kids and their behavior, the administration putting so much pressure on teachers, and the lack of upward mobility. I was given a chance to move into higher ed to manage the company custodial contractor and things have just progressed from there.

Sustainability is all about finding ways to create awareness of how we as a people are overusing and abusing the Earth and finding ways to minimize or prevent those effects, so it’s not a big stretch from being a teacher. I basically find ways to fight for the protection of our Earth through creating innovative or fun awareness opportunities. It’s just “teaching” but without curriculum. I determine how to reach the campus students, faculty and staff through social media campaigns, campus activities like a tree planting event we did this week, networking with local nonprofits to help bring services to the campus and partnering with the student clubs to help students address sustainability/environmental issues that are important to them.

• Michael Quadri

November 10, 2021 at 8:21 am

Hi Helena, thank you for sharing that sounds like a huge amount of responsibility but extremely rewarding work. I am happy you eventually went for the role. It looks like it is something much more preferable to being a teacher. I have had some experience working with kids and I know how stressful they can be!

I think having a role where you have a positive impact is important, well at least for me and I am happy to hear that you are doing your bit to help with sustainability as this is a massive issue globally.