Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Adults​ ​With​ ​Sickle Cell What Does Retirement Look Like For You?

Tagged: , ,

• What Does Retirement Look Like For You?

Posted by michael-quadri on November 9, 2022 at 9:00 am

Do you have any plans for what you want to do when you retire?

Retirement is still a long while away for me, however, I imagine it is a period where I can spend a lot more time with my loved ones, I can travel more, and rest more.

Are there any lifestyle changes that you are looking forward to during retirement? For example, more time to rest and focus on your health.

viviane-salzman replied 1 year, 4 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • viviane-salzman

November 11, 2022 at 9:40 am

I like this topic.

Well, I am currently 52 years old.  Retirement had never really crossed my mind.  My plan was to keep on working until I could not.  Being able to have a career is good for our wellbeing.  It is fulfilling and rewarding.  Unfortunately, sickle forced me to quit my job right before COVID.  I have been in the hospital with pain or fatigue, and I have been needing to be transfused a lot more often.  I am grateful that my husband is able to support our family.  It is bittersweet.  While I miss having a career, seeing my patients,  hanging out with coworkers, I have more time to spend with my family, and I do not have to push myself so hard to get out of bed to go to work.  Maybe I will be able to return to the workforce some day but for now, I am taking care of myself by eating well, exercising, tending to my spiritual health, getting closer to God.  I am happy.

• tito-oye

November 12, 2022 at 1:26 am

@viviane141 I second what @michael-quadri said!

I hope that you are able to find more things that bring you fulfilment in your day to day life 💗

I hope to one day have a partner who is able (and willing) to look after me if I am not able to work because of my health.

• viviane-salzman

November 15, 2022 at 6:48 pm

I will be praying for you Tito.  God is an awesome God.  If He does not give you a partner, He Himself will take better care of you, as long as you trust Him.  “He will supply all your needs according to His riches…”

• tito-oye

I hope that you are able to find more things that bring you fulfilment in your day to day life 💗

I hope to one day have a partner who is able (and willing) to look after me if I am not able to work because of my health.

• tito-oye

• michael-quadri

November 12, 2022 at 1:08 am

Spending more time with family and taking care of yourself is so important and I believe at times it can easily get overlooked because of how busy life gets.

I am happy you have a good support network in your husband and also focusing on taking care of yourself and your spirtiuality.

Thank you so much for sharing @viviane141. Wishing you nothing but the best!

• viviane-salzman

November 15, 2022 at 6:45 pm

Thank you so much Micheal.