Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Raising Awareness When did you discover proper nutrition helps you manage crisis better?

• When did you discover proper nutrition helps you manage crisis better?

Posted by Oghenerukevwe Godwin idiovo on December 3, 2020 at 10:18 am

I was 15 when I first noticed that some foods causes me to go into crisis more often than usual. So I read more on nutrition management and foods that could make me go a long time with out crisis. currently The longest I have stayed without crisis is 7 months not much but better than once every month.

Tito Oye replied 3 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • ethan-clement

December 4, 2020 at 6:10 pm

Do you have a list of foods which you have found to be beneficial to reducing/preventing crisis? Thanks Ethan

• Oghenerukevwe Godwin idiovo

December 5, 2020 at 5:13 am

Well nutrition is not a one size fit all so you should find what works for you, but for me I stopped ice cream and carbonated drinks.. I make my own drinks from hibiscus flower or smoothies from fruits, for what I eat, I take the usual rice, spaghetti, beans, potatoes etc .. But with more vegetables(Greenleaf vegetables, cabbages etc).. Just eat healthy and you may reduce the amount of time you get crisis

• ethan-clement

December 21, 2020 at 3:09 pm

OK, thanks. My wife and I are trying to help our teenage son battle Sickle Cell. Teenagers are teenagers and don’t always eat and drink healthy things!

• Oghenerukevwe Godwin idiovo

December 22, 2020 at 1:37 am

No I don’t agree teenagers will be teenagers, if y’all start eating healthier at home, and not restricting healthy eating to only your son it will be seen less like a punishment. Lead by example. If you are unsure of how to plan a meal am here you can contact me on Instagram @rukki_godwin

• Tito Oye

January 2, 2021 at 3:40 am

Thank you for sharing your experiences! There is definitely a link between nutrition and our health. I follow a nutritionist on Instagram who has a son with sickle cell and I know she will be releasing very relevant content soon – https://somiigbene.com/category/sickle-cell-anaemia/