• Kassem Banawer

September 2, 2020 at 3:46 pm

i read once about that, i think this device is special for very sick people who needs always for direct medication and prevent injection every time, its easy and reliable.

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/port-a-cath

• Colleen

September 3, 2020 at 9:47 pm

Yes, I do have a port-a-cath.  I have had it for 11 years.  I was a military brat and the airmen would take our blood never doing it right.  They never offered it at the base hospital, so it was so painful.  It would always take three to four times. I didn’t get it until later in life and it was the best thing ever made.  Then some sickle cell patients begin dying of septic infections caused by their ports.  A lot of medical personnel did not know how to access them.  They would not flush them out with heparin before and after.  Now we are told the hospital doesn’t want to use them anymore because of infections.  Mine is only used at the infusion center for transfusion.

• Tito Oye

September 26, 2020 at 8:03 am

It sounds so useful Colleen, it makes everything much easier when used and looked after correctly.

I know a few people with it too who’d vouch for it. It’s reassuring as I may have to consider it myself one day.