Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Adults​ ​With​ ​Sickle Cell What activities/habits have you had to give up in the name of maintaining good health?

• What activities/habits have you had to give up in the name of maintaining good health?

Posted by Tito Oye on February 21, 2020 at 2:00 pm

There are so many triggers of a crisis that we need to be more mindful when it comes to our environment and what we are exposed to.

As a kid, I had swimming lessons however partaking in this activity resulted in many trips to the hospital, so it was decided that the lessons must stop. 

Do you have any similar experiences?

Tito Oye replied 1 year, 11 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Steve M

March 5, 2020 at 8:04 pm

Hi Tito, it’s hard to give up on things we like but it’s for the best

I had to stop riding my bike since I was a 10 years old because every single time I got on it the next day I Started feeling bad or already in a crisis. I never could play Soccer or run simple things you do as a kid or teenage.

• Tito Oye

March 6, 2020 at 1:29 am

Hey Steve,

Giving these things up when I was younger was definitely harder as I didn’t understand why I had to give these things up, and a lot of my peers were still so active, but now I’m older I understand that it is definitely for the best!

• Rochelle Richard

February 11, 2022 at 1:21 pm

Greetinz 

I had to give up bike riding and yoga. Every time I try to do these activities,  I would become very sickle and frustrated.  However,  today if I’m going to partake in yoga I have to make sure that my instructor knows something about Sickle xell and respecting my illness, limitations, attendance.  Basically I have to feel that theirs some compassion and great spiritual energy on their part.

• Tito Oye

February 16, 2022 at 9:19 am

Hey Rochelle,

Yes it’s so important for the instructor to know so they don’t unintentionally overwork you.

I hope you’re able to keep up the yoga classes!!

• Oluwatomi

May 13, 2022 at 5:18 pm

I’ve had to give up riding my bike too. I started this school year riding my bike to school but quickly reverted to walking to school or sometimes having someone drive me to school after persistent pain and problems breathing I had in that time. I was able to get through swimming lessons without much complaint, but I eventually gave up swimming altogether after a crisis resulting in hospitalization that came on after swimming in my friends pool for literal seconds (even though my friend had her pool warmed up just for me!) and instances of pain after just being in pool water afterwards. I’m not much of an athletic person, so as a kid staying in the library during recess and sitting out during PE didn’t really bother me, but I did miss being able to play basketball and participating in “Fun-Runs.” In terms of habits, I’ve always been very picky and felt like I had to stay busy constantly, so I’ve had to get over my pickiness and also start taking breaks and getting more sleep to have more energy and less pain & fatigue.

• Tito Oye

May 31, 2022 at 3:27 pm

Thanks for sharing this @itsabbygrl123!
      What activities/habits have you picked up now?