Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Adults​ ​With​ ​Sickle Cell What’s the one thing that would elevate your experience when hospitalized?

• What’s the one thing that would elevate your experience when hospitalized?

Posted by Tito Oye on August 2, 2022 at 9:00 am

I’m sure that if we were to list all the things that need to improve with our healthcare systems, irrespective of where you are in the world, we would be stuck here typing for a while!

If I had to pick just one thing to elevate my experience, I would pick a hospital filled with staff who treat sickle cell as the serious condition it is. So, no long waiting times and no second-guessing patients!

What would you change if you could about hospitalizations?

Kassem Banawer replied 1 year, 7 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • viviane salzman

August 2, 2022 at 11:01 am

One thing that would elevate my experience when hospitalized is being on a unit that is specialized in sickle cell.  Hospitals have cancer unit, neurology unit, GI unit, ortho unit to name a few.  On these units, doctors, nurses and others are specialized in their field. Patients are treated with dignity and respect and the care is tailored for success.

• Kassem Banawer

August 2, 2022 at 5:01 pm

For me I hate the emergency room because the procedure take too much time and I’m in the middle of crisis, what would say to quickly verify the SCD patients and directly proceed the routine procedure for the patients and no need to wait too much time.

• Tito Oye

August 8, 2022 at 9:51 am

@virus that would make a world of a difference!!!

• Michael Quadri

August 4, 2022 at 5:46 pm

I couldn’t agree more @viviane141, dedicated staff members would make a huge difference as it allows sickle cell patients to be prioritized. In the UK most patients with sickle cell have to go through A&E sometimes waiting for hours before being seen and even longer to get assistance like a bed or a room. The process is really unfair and is not practical.

• Kassem Banawer

August 10, 2022 at 12:34 am

Yes @Tito sure, i’m suffering too much with emergency rooms.

• Michael Quadri

September 26, 2022 at 10:11 am

This sounds like a great idea @virus, the current process is not efficient at all

• Kassem Banawer

September 27, 2022 at 1:38 am

Yes @Michael i hope they can start this procedure soon