Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Adults​ ​With​ ​Sickle Cell Working through a sickle cell crisis

• Working through a sickle cell crisis

Posted by Michael Quadri on November 17, 2022 at 2:30 pm

I know that having a sickle cell crisis is an extremely painful and grueling experience, and unfortunately it is not always possible to drop your responsibilities and just look after yourself.
    In such situations, how do you manage to get on with your normal day-to-day activities (work, school, parenting, socializing, etc…) while having a crisis?

Michael Quadri replied 1 year, 3 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Mrs. Norris-Mulligan

December 25, 2022 at 2:04 am

@michael quadri 

I have not found an appreciation of ‘working’ through a pain crisis. I have always addressed the pain and got it under control because of the  seriousness of a pain crisis. I know that all of us are different and respond to a pain crisis differently but I have never advised someone to wait and not seek aid/medication. I believe that until the crisis has ended, work/activities should cease and medical attention should be initiated. I credit my older age to that philosophy and the grace of God. (and not in that order) Amen!

• Kassem Banawer

December 28, 2022 at 12:56 am

I don’t think @Michael i can do anything during my hard crisis because my pain completly control all my body even if you take a good pain killer you have to take rest or i will face more pain, at the end the crisis make my body out of control that because should be someone close to you and take care for your responsibilities like my wife of any person close to me, with respect to work sure i have to take a sick vacation.

• Michael Quadri

January 10, 2023 at 4:10 am

@enorris

I am happy you have such a caring and understanding son that can support you through the pain of a crisis. It is amazing when you have understanding family members who are also supportive.

• Michael Quadri

January 10, 2023 at 4:16 am

@virus

I understand that the pain can be so unbearable that the only thing you can do is take medication and rest till the pain subsides. It is important that you do what’s best for you and listen to your body.