Tagged: , ,

• Balancing Life With Fatigue

Posted by tito-oye on January 24, 2020 at 2:00 pm

Fatigue is a symptom of sickle cell that effects us every single day.

The tasks that a lot people can complete without a second thought can leave us drained and breathless, so we need to be more intentional with how we use our energy.

How do you combat fatigue to ensure you get through your daily tasks?

viviane-salzman replied 3 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • rodney-mcnary

February 14, 2020 at 8:13 am

Tito, One of the things that was shared with me by a doctor is no not let anyone upset you. Stay calm. I had a bad experience concerning being upset, and ended up in the emergency room that triggered a sudden hemoglobin drop, where it caused my skin to look grey, and slurring in my speech. On the other had no not over exert yourself. Do not go beyond the capacity you are able to handle.

• tito-oye

February 19, 2020 at 1:56 am

Thanks for your reply Rodney!

Yes, your doctor is right. I have personally experienced how negative emotions can negatively impact my health so it is in our best interest to stay as calm as possible.

It is important that we listen to our bodies and only take on what it can handle. It may be frustrating but at the same time we don’t want to face the consequences of not listening.

• steve-m

March 5, 2020 at 7:55 pm

Hello Tito and Rodney I just want to say that this is so correct it took me a lil bit to figure it out cause I don’t get upset or angry to easy but when I do it’s bad I feel terrible and can’t control it and I end up getting a really bad crisis to the point that I get hospitalized for days….

Also I got sick after getting to excited about something one time but I think that’s the only time it happens cause of excitement I think.

One more thing fatigue…. around 6 years ago  mine changed and it’s just getting worst I always feel tired, I wasn’t like this I used to have so much energy but not anymore I don’t know how to help it and its becoming a problem cause I never want to do anything

I’m sorry I can write forever

• tito-oye

March 6, 2020 at 1:51 am

Hey Steve,

I had no idea excitement could cause the same reaction! I am definitely going to read into this.

Sorry to hear that it has gotten worse, what has been the most effective thing you have tried so far?

(By the way, feel free to keep writing, your contributions are very helpful!!!)

• steve-m

March 6, 2020 at 4:38 am

Let’s see we’ll since sickle cell talks I have learn how to listen and understand my body I used to feel tired but I kept going pushing myself basically I didn’t want to listen what my body was saying and always ending in a crisis or hospitalization so now I do listen and when I feel that way I take it easy, stay home, rest, drink lots of fluids and try to breathe good, this few thing make a change sometimes I don’t get any episodes sometimes I do but at least I

• tito-oye

June 23, 2020 at 4:50 am

It is so important for us to listen to our bodies, if we don’t then we learn the hard way. Once we are in tune with our bodies then we have a better understanding of how we can efficiently navigate through life!

• michael-quadri

June 23, 2020 at 5:01 am

That is good, listening to your body is vital in maintaining good health and is very important in preventing a crisis. Taking rest when needed and drinking lots of fluids will always prove to be beneficial.

• viviane-salzman

June 26, 2020 at 8:43 pm

Hi guys!

I struggle with fatigue every single day.  Like you Steve, I used to be pretty energetic in my younger years.  Lately, I have little strength.  It takes a lot out of me to accomplish tasks that used to be pretty easy.  It is difficult for someone without sickle cell to understand the struggles.  Sometimes I cry when I find myself unable to function as I need.  It is a sad situation.  Anyway thank you for sharing, now I know that it is not just in my head.