Sickle Cell Disease News Forums Forums Adults​ ​With​ ​Sickle Cell When a crisis starts, how long do you wait before you start using medicine?

Tagged: , ,

• When a crisis starts, how long do you wait before you start using medicine?

Posted by Tito Oye on October 21, 2020 at 9:55 am

Sometimes I’ll experience a “small” crisis that I think I can manage so I would wait for the pain to go all by itself.

If the pain subsides then great, if it gets worse, or stays for more than an hour then I would start to use painkillers.

How about you? How long would you wait? Do you even wait?

Mrs. Norris-Mulligan replied 3 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Kassem Banawer

October 22, 2020 at 1:10 pm

with respect to my experience in this field there is some signs that telling me about a crisis I will face soon some of these  signs as follow:

1- inflate and pain in the spleen

2- feel of cold and weakness usually before the crisis

3- feel of shorten breath and feel of need for oxygen

4- feel of pressure in the lower jaw

when one or two of this signs begin that means the crisis is close so I will start the medication directly after that if the pain become more i will rise the dose and fluids.

• Sijaama T Branch

October 23, 2020 at 11:14 pm

If it seems like the pain will pass quickly I do nothing. However, there is a certain throb that may occur that signals a more intense one, I’ll take the pain Med  and increase fluid intake.

• Regina Dorsey

October 27, 2020 at 6:00 pm

Hi. I have had many crisis and I attempt to wait to see if I can relax and rest to see if it will subside. If not I will take my medicine. I try not to let it get too out of control. Depending on the temp and  the activity I am participating in depends on long I wait.

• Steve M

October 29, 2020 at 4:45 am

Hello Everyone, this is what I do when a crisis is going to hit I start feeling extremely tired for few days also I feel pressure on my lower jaw I know I’m going to get a crisis so I start drinking more fluids and resting a day or two this helps me sometimes but only to space it out for a few days no matter what I still get it…

Now when I get pain I start the pain killers immediately and also use a heating pad which helps me to relax and control the pain sometimes then I stay in bed and wait for the crisis to stablish in the places it will hit me because in my case it travels from one place to another on the first few hours then if I can’t handle it I have to go to the Hospital. I have learn with every crisis how to know how  bad is going to be sadly but we learn to understand this bs.

• Mrs. Norris-Mulligan

December 1, 2020 at 1:36 pm

Hello,

I am older, so now at the first feeling of pain, I use the meds, very very low dose. Usually, that stops the pain immediately (within the hour). I do follow a ritual, drink plenty of water and dress very well (over dress) for the cooler/cold temps.

I have recognized that a pain crisis affects each individual differently. Therefore, what works for one is not necessarily what will work for all. I was told that I should be pain free. However, several years ago, a physician, during a group discussion said that may not be what all should. I cannot imagine why not! (a SC pain crisis is life threatening, that is why we use the emergency department to manage the pain and STOP the pain)